Using the same process as in making fine saddlery, Spinneybeck Leather Tiles are 100 percent vegetable tanned leather. A special combination of chestnut and mimosa bark forms the basis of the three-week tanning process. As the leather moves through the production phases, the hides are trimmed several times to ensure a more uniform, useable shape. Prior to being cut and sized, a light application of a water repellent finish is applied. This protective coating is absorbed into the tiles and becomes an integral part of the leather surface, thus providing resistance to abrasion, fading, and staining while still highlighting the smooth tight natural texture of the leather. Like hardwood floors, Spinneybeck Floor Tiles will develop a rich patina and age beautifully over time.
Overstock Floor Tiles are the same high quality, leather tiles however are overstock from projects and, therefore, offered at a significant discount. Please note that quantities are limited and all sales are FINAL SALE.
- Designer Emanuela Frattini Magnusson
- Content European cowhide
- Thickness 3.5 mm
- Weight 8.75 oz per ft2 (2670 g per m2)
- Grain Full
- Tannage Vegetable
- Dye Aniline
- Finish Aqueous-based water repellent
- Primary Uses Flooring, vertical
- Industry Contract, hospitality, residential
- Maintenance Frequently sweep or vacuum with a soft bristle brush to remove loose dirt and debris. Since there is a water-resistant finish on the tiles, liquid will not immediately absorb into the surface. Blot any spills with a soft cloth but do not rub. If applied to the floor, damp mop the tiles approximately every 60 days. Use only water and ensure the mop is rung out well. Occasional conditioning with Spinneybeck Aniline Leather Cleaner, Conditioner & Protector is recommended. Tiles may be buffed with a soft, dry cloth or a floor buffer with a cotton pad. Never use leather cleaners such as saddle soaps, household cleaners such as Murphy’s Oil Soap, cleaners that contain harsh chemicals, alcohol, or ink removers on the tiles.
- Installation Tiles may be trimmed and adjusted for size in the field with a straight edge and a commercial grade utility blade. Allow to acclimate on site for a minimum of one to two weeks. Floor installation may be applied to either finished grade plywood or concrete. Vertical application may be over finished grade plywood for new-build installations and multi-ply over existing drywall. Tiles will not adhere to drywall, gypsum board, or masonite. It is important that the surface be clean, dust-free and level. To ensure a successful installation, Spinneybeck strongly recommends that an installer who has experience with leather tile and has a long history of successful installations. For detailed instructions, please download Tiles Installation and Maintenance or contact Customer Service.
- Variation Leather Tiles are a natural product, there will be minor expansion and contraction related to environmental changes in temperature and humidity.